If, after reading our introduction to far infrared therapy (hyperthermia), you’ve ended up here seeking to learn more about what this therapy can do for you if you suffer from thyroid conditions like hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s disease – you’ve come to the right place!
More than 20 million Americans suffer from some kind of thyroid disease, so you also aren’t alone. The thyroid is often overlooked as an integral part of our health even in those who don’t have a clinical diagnosis for hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s, too. This tiny, butterfly-shaped gland in the lower part of your neck is responsible for secreting hormones that govern the functioning of almost every cell, tissue, and organ in the body.
Phototherapy at the far infrared spectrum is incredibly beneficial for those who suffer from thyroid damage, but also just supporting our thyroid and endocrine system at large.
There are numerous studies which have proven that several sessions of far infrared therapy have allowed hypothyroid and Hashimoto’s patients to go off their thyroid medications and live with a completely healthy, healed thyroid.
Following are several reasons far-infrared therapy is responsible for reversing thyroid disease:
- Many people suffer from endocrine and thyroid disorders due to heavy metal toxicity. These chemicals, such as lead, mercury, cadmium, aluminum, nickel, and others, accumulate at high rates in the body and cause thyroid dysfunction. Simply detoxing from heavy metals aids your thyroid in returning to its original, perfect state. Because far infrared therapy causes us to gently sweat while our sympathetic nervous system is at rest (the part of our nervous system responsible for our fight or flight response) detoxification is boosted.
Normally, when we work out at the gym, we sweat, but deep-seated toxins aren’t removed from the body because we are in an active, alert state. This is not conducive to real detox. Near infrared targets deeply-integrated toxins and encourages the body to release them at the cellular level. Far infrared also encourages the production of human growth hormone (HGH) levels which help to burn fat (which stores some of these toxins.)
- Far infrared warms the body and increases blood circulation. Patients with hypothyroid often suffer from poor blood circulation and hypothermia (low body temperature), including cold hands and feet.
- Far infrared penetrates the skin without harming it to bring more blood and nutrients to cells. As toxins are released – healthy, life-giving blood full of antibodies and immune-boosting nutrients flood the thyroid, as well as other tissues in our bodies, healing them.
- Another cause of thyroid disease is chronic inflammation. With the synergistic combination of light and heat at the far-infrared range, cellular regeneration is boosted to create surprising health benefits, including the healing of the endocrine system and thyroid gland.
- Yet another cause of thyroid disease is the lack of exposure to sunlight. We need light. In fact, some would argue we ARE light (biophotonic emissions). This type of therapy fights against light deficiency (lack of Vitamin D) which can negatively affect the thyroid.
- Experts would argue that the dysfunction of the thyroid is at least partially the result of failing immunity. When the immune system attacks the thyroid organ, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid gland results. This is called an autoimmune disorder. That is because instead of protecting your thyroid, your immune cells start to attack the thyroid tissues.
Far infrared boosts the immune system and reverses chronic inflammation associated with all autoimmune disorders. The raised immunity of our bodies happens partly due to elevated body temperature. Certain protein-activated enzymes become activated under far-infrared light that then boost immune cells. Far infrared also boosts mitochondrial functioning in the cells and improves lymph flow throughout the body – which helps to carry lymphocytes (white blood cells that fight infection) to every nook and cranny of our bodies.
- Far infrared activates an important enzyme called “cytochrome c oxidase. This enzyme is key to energy production in our bodies. Normally, stress, estrogen dominance, low thyroid, lack of light, lack of exercise, and other environmental factors diminish this enzyme. Far infrared therapy helps to give it a boost so that we feel both relaxed and energized after a session. This is very important for those who suffer from low energy and fatigue on a regular basis due to thyroid disease. This enzyme also happens to be the same one that pharmaceutical medications (T3) work to activate.
- Far infrared helps to alkalize the body, healing all conditions which result from over-acidity – including everything from endocrine and hormonal imbalances to cancer and the flu.
- Finally, far infrared therapy activates healing of the digestive system and root chakras through color therapy. The light waves are associated with the frequency of healing for this area of the body, and all the emotional issues that accompany the first and second chakras. The photoreceptors in our cells activate various cellular healing in the visible and infrared range.
Love & Compassion Integrative Healing Center
This article “Far Infrared Therapy for Hypothyroid” was originally created and published by LoveandCompassion.com under a Creative Commons license with attribution to Mika Ichihara, M.S., L.Ac., LL.M., B.Phar., Founder Owner and Grand Master in Eastern Medicine and Energy Soul Medicine. It may be re-posted freely with proper attribution and author bio. For more information about her and her practice, please visit www.loveandcompassion.com.